Friday, May 7, 2010

Flummoxed by a Four-Year-Old


Ain't life grand?

In my day job, I work in a preschool. Our theme this week was gardening. Activities included planting seeds, learning to classify things as 'alive' or 'not alive', and reading stories about bugs, singing songs about bugs, and observing bugs.

At least, that was the plan. Due to unseasonably cool weather, our search for bugs proved fruitless. So I improvised. At home, I spotted a banana slug in the woods.

Close enough, right?

I put him in a jar with some leaves and took him to school. He impressed the kids with his four-inch length and slimy skin. Although he moved at an excrutiatingly-slow pace, over the course of the day, he made a dent in a couple of leaves. Our little students also noticed that, like all living things, he pooped.(A LOT!)

I told the kids I would take him home and release him back in the woods so he could go home. As they said their goodbye's to the ugly critter, little Sam looked up, brown eyes alight with optimism and excitement.

"When will he turn into a butterfly?"

No comments:

Post a Comment